1 of 3
WHAT IS XANTHELASMA?
Xanthelasma is deposit of fat which look like yellowish spots, flat or protruding, with a tendency to grow. They can grow on all eyelid surface, but appear more frequently around the eyelid corners.
In time, their number and size may increase becoming fastidious for the patient most of all from the esthetic point of view.
CAN I UNDERGO A XANTHELASMA OPERATION?
Patients with eyelid xanthoma turn to an oculoplasty surgeon when:
- The xanthelasmas grow in size,b becomeb esthetically visible and fastidious for the patient.
- The lesions merge, creating intumescences atn the eye margin which may modify the eyelid movement.
- Patients are women who cannot cover up the lesions with the makeup anymore.
- The psychological and social discomfort is too big.
WHAT DOES THE XANTHELASMA INTERVENTION CONSIST OF?
Depending on different cases, xanthelasmas can be eliminated through an esthetic surgery, the use of CO2 pulsating laser or through a chemical peeling.
- Surgical excision is practiced in the context of eyelid remodelling through a highly personalized blepharoplasty.
- CO2 laser is a mini-invasive technique which vaporizes and photocoagulates the treated tissue, through a highly selective and progressive ablation of skin layers.
- Chemical peelings use the capacity of some chemicals, such as trichloroacetate acid, to erode tissues to eliminate superficial lesions from the skin.
Each patient will be guided and advised on the most appropriate and advanced surgical practices, according to the latest guidelines of the International surgical associations
WHAT CAN I EXPECT? WHAT ARE THE RESULTS OF A XANTHELASMA INTERVENTION?
The most appropriate therapy will be chosen based on the clinical history of each patient.
The CO2 laser is made so that its laser beam is directed on the established spot in a highly selective way, without touching the surrounding tissues. It represents a secure and effective method in benign skin lesion removal.
A surgical treatment of blepharoplasty does not leave evident scars because the incisions are practiced following the natural folds of the face. The esthetic results are harmonious and natural-looking.
The procedure will be personalised so to preserve the natural look, reflecting the personality of the patient and the individuality of his/her image, and to respect the needs expressed during the initial meeting
All the photographs and videos have been made by Dr. Carlo Graziani with authorisation by the very same patiences. It is forbidden to copy or reproduce in any form and for any other use all the contents found on the our web site. All rights are reserved. Dr. Carlo Graziani 2020.