1 of 3
WHAT IS ECTROPION?
Ectropion consists in the outwardly turned or sagging lower lid margin which loses contact with the eye globe. Such incorrect position causes an exposure, therefore lack of protection, of the eye surface and, moreover, the difficulty of keeping the tears away from the conjunctival fornice.
- The main symptoms of the conjunctival and corneal exposure are tearing, eyelid skin rash, a gritty, sandy sensation and, in more advanced stages, the keratitis from too much exposure.
- The main forms are the Senile Ectropion, Paralitic Ectropion (paralysis of the facial nerve), Scar Ectropion (skin scarring processes) and Mechanical Ectropion (neoplasm which weighs on the eyelid margin).
- The most common form is represented by the senile ectropion. In this pathological context the tarsus, the cantal ligaments and the retractor muscles become flaccid and lax and are no longer able to give that mechanical stability to the eyelid which ensures its function and position.
WHEN TO UNDERGO THE ECTROPION OPERATION?
The surgery is indicated in cases of:
- Significant exposure of the conjunctiva which causes its dryness damaging the eye surface and intensely disturbs the patient.
- Modifications caused by metaplasia of the conjunctive (anomalous reaction of surface tissues of the eye), more common in cases of long duration, which contribute to keeping the eyelid in the abnormal position acquired.
- In the most serious cases where there is an inflammation of the entire eyelid with a possible orbicular muscle spasm (spastic ectropion) which aggravates the ectropion.
WHAT DOES THE ECTROPION OPERATION CONSIST OF?
The clinical exam of the patient must establish the cause, the degree and the extension of the eyelid laxity and the eventual presence of conjunctival scars. The corrective operation is performed to reposition the eyelid, so that in can adhere correctly to the eye globe.
The correction is always surgical and is performed using a variety of techniques, depending on the etiology or originating cause of the ectropion:
- Surgical technique aimed at reinforcing the tendons or muscular-skeletal structure of the eyelid, in the senile form.
- Surgical techniqu eaimed at implanting skin where missing,in the scar form.
- Surgical technique aimed at facilitating the eyelid closing through a mid-face lifting, in the paralytic form.
Each patient will be guided and advised on the most suitable and cutting-edge surgical treatments, based on the most updated guidelines of the international surgical associations
WHAT CAN I EXPECT? WHAT ARE THE RESULTS OF THE ECTROPION OPERATION?
The operation will be personalized and discussed during the pre-operational interview.
The scars are not visible because the incisions follow the natural lines and creases of the face.
The eyelid gets back into its correct position: the operation attenuates the unpleasant outward turning with a significant reduction of the associated symptoms.
The operation will be personalized to preserve a natural look, to reflect the patient’s personality and the individuality of his/her image, to respect the needs expressed during the pre-surgical interview
All the photographs and videos have been made by Dr. Carlo Graziani with authorisation by the very same patiences. It is forbidden to copy or reproduce in any form and for any other use all the contents found on the our web site. All rights are reserved. Dr. Carlo Graziani 2020.