1 of 2
WHAT IS ENTROPION?
Entropion consists in an inversion (inward turning) of the free margin of the lower and/or upper eyelid, with a resulting contact of the eyelashes with the eye globe.
The continuous rubbing caused by this situation provokes a significant disturbance and compromises the surface of the cornea, which can develop various kinds of damage, from acute superficial kerititis to ulcers.
- The main disturbances linked to entropion are the eye reddening, tearing, gritty sensation and persistent and involuntary closing of the eyelids.
- Entropion can be congenital, senile, paralytic, or mechanical. Moreover, it can result from the scarring process of chemical burning, of a trauma, a trachomitis (a conjunctival and corneal infection) and of a pemphigoide (a self-inflicted skin disease).
- The most common entropion is the senile one, caused by lax tendon structures of retractor muscles of lower eyelid which develops with age.
WHEN TO UNDERGO THE ENTROPION OPERATION?
The corrective action is indicated when:
- The eye surface is damaged by the rubbing of the inwardly turned eyelashes.
- The patient feels an eye pain.
- The development of the pathology reduces the visual sharpness and becomes an invalidating condition for the patient.
WHAT DOES THE THE ENTROPION OPERATION CONSIST OF?
The clinical exam of the patient must establish the cause, the degree and the extension of the eyelid laxity and the eventual presence of conjunctival scars.
Based on the pre-operational considerations, changing from case to case, the therapies consist in:
- Botox: may be used, in selected cases, to obtain a temporary solution of the incorrect eyelid positioning (temporary treatment).
- Surgical correction: the surgery aims at repositioning of the eyelid margin so that the eyelashes get back to their physiological position. To that effect, an cutaneous incision is practiced below the eyelashes at 2-3mm from the eyelashes of the lower eyelid, through which the retractor muscles of the lower eyelid are exposed and reinserted.
- In case in which the entropion comprises eyelid laxity, a cantal suspension is practiced. This term stands for a surgical procedure where the external eyelid border is anchored to the orbital margin with nonabsorbable sutures to re- establish the right eyelid tension.
Each patient will be guided and advised on the most suitable and cutting-edge surgical treatments, based on the most updated guidelines of the international surgical associations
WHAT CAN I EXPECT? WHAT ARE THE RESULTS OF THE ENTROPION OPERATION?
The operation will be personalized and discussed during the pre-operational interview
The scars are not visible because the incisions follow the natural lines and creases of the face.
The eyelid gets back into its correct position: the operation attenuates the unpleasant outward turning with a significant reduction of the associated symptoms.
All the photographs and videos have been made by Dr. Carlo Graziani with authorisation by the very same patiences. It is forbidden to copy or reproduce in any form and for any other use all the contents found on the our web site. All rights are reserved. Dr. Carlo Graziani 2020.